First things first: I am -unofficially- a graduate. The graduation ceremony is not until July, but as of May 7th 2009, I have -presumably- finished my last Literature exam at NUS and am hereby done with almost 23 years of student life (assuming that from the time you were born you start learning, not just book learning but being socialised. OMG, psychoanalysis, anyone?). Until I actually get the funds to do a Masters degree in Journalism/Mass Comm overseas, I am leaving the glorious life a student behind.
How depressing.
After all, being students and studying our arses off are what we've been taught to do for the entire of our lives so far. Now, all those skills picked up for "mugging", procrastination, "crapping" etc. are rendered useless! O life, what do we do now?!
The next half of our lives will be spent busily working. Farewell youth; it was fun while it lasted. I am so not looking forward to the next phase of life, but move on we must.
***
I cannot stress this enough: I absolutely ABHOR MLM, financial planners, insurance agents etc. etc. These people have zero sense of shame and the word 'No' (in its various permutations and intonations) does not exist in their dictionary. I've been repeatedly harassed by these people over the past few days and it is not in the least bit funny. I am annoyed.
To make matters worse, these people have started quoting knowledge of my name and number thanks to the introduction/referral by certain friends. Now, my dear friends, if they know me well enough, know better than to bother me with such things because 1. they are number 1 on my list of hates, 2. you're just wasting yours and my time because there is no way that I'll ever be interested in them, period. If I were interested in something, I'd take the initiative to do my research and approach you for advice, not you coming to me and forcing me to take your "advice". I have better things to do with my time.
That said, I am going to meet one such person over lunch tomorrow simply because said person has 1. quoted a friend's name and I have no idea who that friend is 'cos I know too many Alvins, and 2. person has been persistent, repeatedly calling me for (re)scheduling of appointment and wouldn't leave me alone until I agree to a meet-up and so 3. I figured I'd just go meet and "listen" to what person has to say (don't blame me if look highly uninterested. I did warn you -repeatedly- that I am NOT interested in the least bit) so that person will finally stop harassing me. Nothing like a pissed off face to scare a person off right? Yes, I think so too. And I do need lunch anyway, so at least I'll be filling my stomach at the same time. Time is not entirely wasted.
BUT I REALLY DO HATE HAVING SUCH THINGS SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT. I will not hesitate to terminate my friendship with 'friends' who unabashedly do such things to me. Especially if the "friends" are people I have not been in touch with for a long time and only come to me to use me. Such people I can live without.
With that note, adieu student life.