You know, everywhere I go these few days, I'm bombarded by images of China's Sichuan earthquake. Be it in newspapers, on the news, people asking for donations, friends urging other friends to donate, etc. etc., it's everywhere. After days of these, I don't really know how I should be reacting to it anymore. This doesn't mean that I'm not saddened by this event, I am. I've donated through the temple, way before friends and others started asking me to donate. I read breaking news of the quake off New York Times, and am kept updated there. But in Singapore, this devastating event is just EVERYWHERE, and it makes me wonder if so much attention is being paid to it because of the amount of Chinese we have (Chinese Chinese and Singaporean Chinese), the similar Asian values we share and the close ties we have, or if it's something more.
Now, the Sichuan earthquake wasn't the only disaster to have struck Asia. In Myanmar, there is Cyclone Nargis. Today's front page of The Straits Times has an article on it. I'm glad to know that Myanmar's government is finally opening its doors to much-needed international aid. You know, in my opinion, I think more attention should be paid to Myanmar's situation. Why? Simply because it is such a tough situation that the people there are facing. In order to protect their political interests, the people's needs are being set aside. Much attention has been paid to Myanmar's political sphere recently, and the only reason I know about this is because of my news reporting module with its weekly current affairs quizzes. But, my heart really goes out to all in Myanmar. It makes me wish that I could do something for them.
I checked out Singapore's Red Cross website and it has instructions on how to donate to help the people in Myanmar. Given that so many people here are already actively asking others for donations for Sichuan's earthquake, I don't think it will hurt if I ask people to not forget the victims of Cyclone Nargis as well. And while my friends ask fellow friends to donate and help victims of the earthquake, I'd like to urge all to also donate to Myanmar. A little help goes a long way.... if we all play a part, it'll mean a lot to the people. Even if their government isn't doing much to help their own people, at least let them know the international community cares.
Here's the Singapore Red Cross link and instructions on how to donate:
http://www.redcross.org.sg/myanmar_cyclone_src_donate.htmSomeday, I'd like to be part of one of the volunteer relief efforts that travel to these places of destructions to help the people. One day, I want to be one of those journalists that bring international attention to the plight of these people. For now, I can only donate, and ask everyone else to please help them in every way you can.
My prayer on Vesak Day was for a better world, for peace, for relief for these people, and for others to care for them.